Facebook is one of the most popular social networking platform. Billions of people use Facebook for various purposes everyday and as a result people’s account are also prone to bad incidents, therefore facebook users are met with a number of hacked accounts. However, recovering facebook accounts is easier and can be done with a few steps which will be explained as you read on.
However, once you realize that your account has been hacked, you must take action as quick as possible in order to recover your Facebook account back. Once recovered, then you should become extra protective about your facebook account and make sure that it is secured.
Below are some of the steps that can be taken in order to recover your hacked Facebook account.
If you discover your Facebook password was changed:
What majority of hackers do is to first change the password of the account so that the original user cannot access it. As a matter of fact, recovering such account is relatively easier. You need to follow these steps to recover the account.
1. If only the password has changed and you still have access to the associated email of the account then you may go to the “forgot password” option at the facebook login page.
2. Facebook will lead you to another page and will ask you to enter either your username, email address or the phone number. You can select any of the options.
3. Facebook will find your profile, view your specific profile enter either the email address or phone number and click on “continue”.
4. A recovery code will be sent to your desired recovery option (either phone number or email). Enter that code and click continue.
5. Now set your new password and your account will be ready to be used again.
In case you have no access to the email associated to your Facebook account:
If you that your associated email cannot be accessed then you must take the following steps to recover your Facebook account.
1. Click on the forgot password option.
Now let Facebook search your profile by entering your username or email address
2. Once you have been located by Facebook, click on your profile, a dialogue box will open to reset your password.
3. Click on “no longer have access to these” as you do not have access to your associated email address.
4. Then extended recovery options will be given and it depends on the age of the Facebook account. Old Facebook accounts have the option of Security question to recover their account.
5. New Facebook users can use the option of “trusted contacts” to regain access to their account.
6. For doing so, enter the email address you have access to, and click on reveal my trusted contacts and enter the name of one of them.
7. Facebook will then provide a link that only your trusted contact can access. Ask them to click on the link and get the security code for you. Enter the security code to recover your account.
Also Read: How to Unblock Yourself on WhatsApp
If you discover that both your Password and email address was changed:
If you discover that both your password and the associated email to your account has been changed, then the chances of recovering the account have been reduced. To get through this type of situation, there are two basic steps that you can apply.
The steps are for you to recover the account either by your mobile number or an old email address that had been linked to your account before it was changed.
If you want to recover via the mobile number option all you need to do is go to the Facebook page.
1. Click on the forgot password option.
2. Then enter your account information like username or email address, once your Facebook profile appears, click on it and recovery options will appear.
3. Click on the mobile number option.
4. Enter your mobile number, Facebook will send you a text message in which a security code will be given.
5. Enter the recovery code to the dialogue box. Now you will be able to set a new password for your facebook account.
The second way is to recover with email change notification. If your email address has been changed, then Facebook will send an email to your previously entailing email address and notify you about the email change.
If your email id has been hacked, then there will be an option “if you did not do this, please secure your account” click on it. You will be given the option to secure your account.
Then Facebook will provide you with a number of recovery options according to the account and security. You may be asked to upload the government ID, Facebook will verify it and reactivate your account.
Another option will be to enter your date of birth to recover the account.
Another alternative option is that, Facebook will ask you to recognize your friends by showing you their pictures and asking their names.
If none of the methods worked for you to recover your hacked facebook account, here is the new updated methods for you.
Facebook published a new security update recently which allows you to reset your password without any verification (in some cases) only if you try to reset your password from the device that you use mostly for login to Facebook. It means that if your facebook got hacked, and if you tried many methods and not worked just try this method below;
Open the device that you use mostly for Facebook log-in, log-out or perform any activity on Facebook. For example; you have been using your Samsung phone to access facebook for 1 or 2years.
Just try to recover or reset your password from that Samsung phone.
If Facebook recognizes your device, you’ll be able to reset your password without any verification method.
To increase your chance, if its possible, while trying to reset your Facebook password, use the Wi-Fi / Network you use for Facebook mostly like your Home Wi-Fi etc.
This may not work on your case, but you should try it. In case it doesn’t work, below is another alternate method;
Facebook currently launched or extended a service called: Identity Verification.
With this feature, you will be able to confirm your identity by sending government issued ID. After sending your ID, Facebook will give you response in 1-3 days and will help you to get back your account easily. Here are the steps:
2. Fill the form, attach your government issued ID.
3. Send the form to Facebook and wait couple of days.
4. Then Facebook will send you an e-mail about recovery.
These are the ways through which you can recover your hacked Facebook account. Though your account was hacked but have you ever wondered why it happened in the first place?
To secure your account, Facebook also has the two-step verification method, to enable it; Go to your security settings and click on “Login Approvals”. By doing this, you will be always asked for the security code given to your mobile number whenever your account is logged in to a new device.
These little tips will help you to make your account secure. Getting hacked on Facebook is just like a nightmare, for which you wish that it had had never happened. Since once your account is hacked, all your personal details are at stake and the hacker may use it in an inappropriate way.
Feel free to share your thought(s) and let others learn